Thursday, January 17, 2013

THE BEST EVER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

Oh yeah.  This is definitely worthy of the ALL CAPS TITLE.








I've been trying to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for seriously like....well....FOREVER.  I can't even tell you how many different recipes I've tried. My mom always insisted that the chocolate chip cookie recipe on the back of the Nestle Toll House bag of chocolate chips were the best, since she made those as a kid, but they really aren't.  For me at least, the Toll House cookies made from scratch always turn out too flat.  The cookie dough was awesome, don't get me wrong (I could eat cookie dough all day), and the cookies tasted fantastic just out of the oven, but they got crunchy overnight.  I have been looking for that perfect, go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe that's bursting with flavor, loaded with chocolate chips, and is thick and fluffy and not flat as a pancake.  I also hate when you pick up a warm chocolate chip cookie and it flops over like a soggy piece of pizza.  I wanted a fresh-out-of-the-oven cookie that would be perfectly soft, yet not flop over.  All of my attempted chocolate chip cookie recipes have been too flat, not rich enough, not vanilla-y enough, or too crunchy....all of them were good, just not knock-my-socks off good.  That is...until I found this glorious recipe.  Once I made my first batch of these bad boys, I was literally singing "Hallelujah" around the kitchen because I was so happy to have FINALLY found the most PERFECT recipe. These cookies are fluffy (if you follow the recipe EXACTLY), they do not flop over (see in the first picture how the middle is very soft, yet the bottom is firm?  Yes...perfection right there), yet are still incredibly moist, they're full of buttery-brown-sugary-vanilla flavor, keep a soft, yet slightly crunchy-just-around-the-edges texture, and my favorite part - they are lightly swirled with flecks of sea salt.  The sea salt is what truly sets them apart from other chocolate chip cookie recipes.  Anybody who cooks/bakes knows that salt is the key ingredient to any good recipe, since it brings out all the other ingredient flavors.  The sea salt in these cookies form a sort of salted-caramel like flavor mixed with the brown sugar.  Which brings me to another reason why I'm in love with this recipe...the majority of the sugar is brown sugar, as opposed to half white half brown, which gives the cookies their perfectly soft texture (brown sugar tends to yield a more chewy cookie because of the molasses). I told me dad, "In the future, when I own my own bakery, these cookies will be there."  He said he would never let me forget that.

You can find this blissful recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment