I do not like coleslaw with mayonnaise...yuck. Mayonnaise in coleslaw is so heavy and gross, in my opinion. However, I love vinegar based coleslaw, and this is the BEST Cole Slaw recipe ever!! America's Test Kitchen has yet another success. I served this with barbecue sandwiches and it was such a delicious, southern meal. This is now my go-to coleslaw recipe.
Published May 1, 2011. From Cook's Illustrated.
Do not use a pre-shredded coleslaw mix with this recipe; its texture and flavor are inferior to fresh cabbage. If you don’t have a salad spinner, use a colander to drain the cabbage, and press with a rubber spatula to remove all excess liquid. When it comes to the sweetness level of coleslaw, tastes vary. For this reason, prepare the coleslaw as directed and then season to taste with up to 2 teaspoons of sugar or up to 2 teaspoons of vinegar, adding one teaspoon at a time.
- 1/4cup cider vinegar, plus extra for seasoning
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2large green cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded fine (about 6 cups)
- 1/4cup sugar, plus extra for seasoning
- Table salt
- 1large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1. Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, oil, celery seed, and pepper in medium glass or metal bowl. Place bowl in freezer until vinegar mixture is well chilled, at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- 2. While mixture chills, toss cabbage with ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with large plate and microwave on high power for 1 minute. Stir briefly, re-cover, and continue to microwave on high power until cabbage is partially wilted and has reduced in volume by ¬one-third, 30 to 60 seconds longer.
- 3. Transfer cabbage to salad spinner and spin cabbage until excess water is removed, 10 to 20 seconds. Remove bowl from freezer, add cabbage, carrot, and parsley to cold vinegar mixture, and toss to combine. If desired, adjust flavor with sugar or vinegar. Season with salt to taste. Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes. Toss again before serving.