Friday, April 27, 2012

Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich






Oh my goodness.  This is the best grilled cheese sandwich I have ever made...no doubt about it.  I will never make a normal grilled cheese sandwich again.  Usually ordinary grilled cheeses are kind of boring;  just some bread, a little butter, and some cheese.  But this one was like BAM! Sooo full of flavor!  It was like savory, stuffed french toast, minus the sweet syrup/fillings of course. It's ooey and gooey with rich, melted cheese in every bite.  I don't know why I didn't think of making grilled cheese like this before!  You are welcome to try variations with different cheeses and other filling ingredients (like meats and veggies).  I made it with hot dog buns (It reminded me of the ultimate cheese dipper...so amazing!!!).because I like the texture better than regular bread, but fresh white bread would be good too.  I'm gonna make it next week for my family with both american and white cheese (probably provolone, mozzerella, or swiss), and a sliced tomato.  I'll also try to make it on fresh, white, sandwich bread. My mom insists I make it with bacon too (I don't like bacon.  But she loves the stuff).  Serve this with some marinara sauce or tomato soup...Mmm...I can guaruntee this is way better than the boring, grilled cheese sandwich you grew up having.

Yield: about 6 servings

Ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 6 slices American cheese
  • 6 hot dog buns
  • Marinara sauce (optional)

Directions:

  1. Whisk eggs, milk, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl.
  2. Tear each American cheese slice in half and place 2 halves evenly between each hot dog bun, so one hot dog bun half is completely covered. Close each hot dog bun.
  3. Coat the entire sandwich in the egg mixture.
  4. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat (or grease a normal pan).
  5. Place dipped sandwiches in the hot frying pan; cook until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.  If there is left over egg mixture, pour it on top of each side of the sandwiches as you cook (they taste best when all the egg mixture is used).
  6. Serve with marinara sauce if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment