Sunday, April 29, 2012

Cinnamon Sugar Scones



Yum yum yum...scones.  I absolutely love these things!  Especially glazed, full of flavor, and dipped in coffee.  These are definitely some of the best scones I've ever had.  They are way better than any coffee shop or bakery's scones, that's for sure.  They are definitely up there with my Orange Chocolate Chip Scones, found here.  I can't really call one better than the other though, because this recipe is more cinnamon flavored than chocolate chip. I created these myself, and I tested them SO many times! It was ridiculous.  I kept baking them weekend after weekend because I kept feeling like I could make them better and better.  And after the 3rd or 4th trial, I finally perfected them.  They have a wonderful spiced, cinnamon flavor, and are perfectly sweet and cakey.  They're very flavorful with or without the chocolate/cinnamon chips.  However, I prefer a little bit of both.  The sour cream makes them really moist as well.  And they taste so delicious up to 3 days later!!  Which is crazy, because usually scones degrade pretty fast...but these didn't in the slightest.  So don't buy that scone you want so badly in that coffee shop!  Just makes these, please(:  I promise, you won't regret it after the first bite of these bad boys.


Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips and/or cinnamon chips (optional)
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 4 teaspoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, soda, and salt. Cut in margarine. Make a well in center. Add sour cream, 2 tablespoons milk, and/ chocolate/cinnamon chips, stirring till just combined (add a bit more milk, if needed).
  3. On floured surface, gently knead 8-10 stokes. Pat dough to 1/2" thickness. Cut with biscuit cutter or however you wish, dipping in flour between cuts. Place on baking sheet.
  4. Bake at 390 degrees F for 16-22 minutes, or until the very top just cracks and is firm to the touch. Cool slightly on wire racks.
  5. Stir together confectioners' sugar, 4 teaspoons milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Drizzle over biscuits. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon and sugar, if desired.  Serve warm or cooled.


No comments:

Post a Comment