Friday, April 6, 2012

Chocolate Florentine Cookies

One night last week, I was in a baking mood (when am I not??) and browsed through my recipe folder, but everything was just kind of boring and same-old, same-old, when this caught my eye.  I'd heard of Florentine cookies, but they always seemed kind of difficult to make, so I never really gave them a shot.  I'm so glad I did though because they're amazingly delicious!! And way easier than I thought.  The hardest part was waiting for them to cool because I wanted to eat them so badly!   I did change up the original recipe to make it my own based on what I thought would taste best...and the result was perfect(: They're not very filling, so my dad and I (us being the chocoholics of the house) ate almost the entire batch that one night.  I've never had anything like them before, which makes me like them even more since they're so unique.  One suggestion: Make sure to follow the recipe exactly when it says drop by TEASPOONFULS THREE INCHES APART.  I didn't think they'd be big enough since the batter looks so small when you drop it, but they spread out a lot.  I did heaping teaspoonfuls for my first batch, and I ended up with one giant sheet of cookie since it spread out so much, so I had to break it into deformed pieces.  But hey - It's the taste that counts though, right?


Yield: about 20 cookies

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (i used half semi-sweet, half dark)

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line 2 cookie sheets with aluminum foil and grease the foil.
  2. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir together the oats, flour, salt and sugar; mix into the melted butter until well blended. Stir in the corn syrup, milk and vanilla. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls 3 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes in the preheated oven, until medium brown. Cool completely before removing from the cookie sheets. In the microwave or in a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water, melt chocolate chips, stirring frequently until smooth. Remove from heat. Spread chocolate onto the bottoms of cookies and sandwich them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment