Thursday, March 29, 2012

White Almond Sheet Cake



This is my new favorite cake ever.  It was the first sheet cake I've ever made as well. It tastes very similar to my Almond Butter Cake (found here) except this one is more moist and has more of a buttery-almond flavor as opposed to the lighter flavor with a touch of apricot.  I baked this sheet cake last night to take to school today for a party in civics, and I honestly had to force my parents to not eat any more pieces after I gave them some.  My mom says - hands down - that it's the best thing I've ever made.  I swear, they would have eaten the whole cake.  I don't blame them though...I had to force myself to only a couple slices because I wanted to have enough to take to school.  And it was totally worth the wait because they were soooo delicious today as well!  I can't decide if I like this cake better warm or cold; it's phenomenal either way.  What makes this cake so good is the flavor of almond extract.  I absolutely love almond extract, and I know it has a tendency to be overpowering in desserts, but it was the perfect amount for this recipe.  The sour cream also makes this cake super duper moist.  One thing I love about this cake is that it bakes up so quickly! And putting the frosting on it when it's warm makes the frosting seep into the cake and soak up all that yummy, sweet flavor. Do NOT skip the frosting!  It truly makes the cake.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup unsalted butter
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

  • Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 4 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • 3/4 cup sliced almonds (optional) 

Directions:

  1. In a large saucepan, bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, almond extract, vanilla extract, baking soda and salt until smooth.
  2. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool for 15 minutes.
  3. For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine butter and milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Spread over warm cake.  Sprinkle with sliced almonds if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment