Saturday, February 11, 2012

Crustless Apple Pie


Yield: 1 9-inch pie

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not a big fan of the classic, flaky pie crust.  I don't think it really does anything.  Whenever I have apple pie, I typically just eat the apple filling and avoid the crust.  Crust to me is like crunchy, baked - nothing.  Soooo I decided to create a crustless apple pie.  Genius, right?  The thing is there is kind of a crust...but it's sweet and baked on top, like a cinnamon-sugar cookie.  The sugar you toss the apples in prevents them from browning while you make the crust by trapping the juice in.  And some of the crust ingredients melt into the apples as they bake, and all the flavors just flow together perfectly.  And the almond extract - oh.my.goodness.  It gives it a hint of incredible almond flavor that makes this pie outstanding and so much better than any other apple pie.  I served this with vanilla bean ice cream and whipped cream.  This dessert didn't last a day in my house.  And that's saying a lot...since it's just my mom, dad and I.


Ingredients:

  • 5 large apples, or 6-7 small-medium apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 3/4 cup salted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 egg

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Toss apples with 1 tablespoon of sugar, and pour them into a pie plate. Thoroughly mix together 1 cup of sugar with the flour, cinnamon, butter, and egg. Spread this evenly over the top of the pie.
  3. Bake in preheated oven until the apples have cooked and the topping is golden brown, about 40 to 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment