Monday, February 20, 2012

Rich Chocolate Filled Golden Cupcakes with Nutella Frosting






Oh my goodness.  These just made their way to the very top of my list of favorite cupcakes.  I am extremely proud to say that I created the recipe...but I came up with the filling by mistake.  Did you know that popsicles, potato chips, chocolate chip cookies, coffee, sourdough bread, cheese, chocolate, ice cream cones, and even sandwiches were all created by mistake??  That's crazy.  But it proves that the absolute best foods were created by mistake...like these cupcakes.  The reason I started baking these cupcakes is because it was International World Nutella Day, and - of course - I just had to celebrate by eating (what else?) NUTELLA.  I started with a classic, yellow cake for the cupcake base flavor.  Then I searched my Crazy About Cupcakes cook-book for a cream filling, and as I started preparing it, I realized way too late that I had been doing the wrong recipe.  At this point I had done the first step of the chocolate filling, soooo I decided to just continue what I had started and attempted to finish my filling by tasting and altering...and tasting and altering...and tasting and altering some more...until it was just perfect.  I brought these to my friends at school to celebrate International World Nutella Day, and they couldn't stop telling me how amazing they were.  They all begged me for the recipe...so they'll probably be super duper excited that I'm finally posting it.  First, you lick off the fluffy, melt-in-your-mouth, Nutella flavored frosting.  Then you bite into that buttery, golden, soft cupcake, and lastly - your taste buds hit the extremely rich, fudgey, smooth, chocolate filling.  And you just can't help but to drool....and then grab another one.


Yield: About 12 medium-sized cupcakes


Ingredients:
For the Cupcakes:
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk


Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Insert liners into a medium cupcake pan.  
2. In a large bowl cream together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.  Add the egg yolks. Beat well. Add the vanilla. Mix.
3.  In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. 
4.  Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.  Mix well.
5.  With clean beaters, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.  With a rubber spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the batter.
6. Fill the cupcake liners one-half to three quarters full.  Bake for 18-22  minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean.  Cool cupcake in the pan.


For the Chocolate Filling:
Ingredients:
1 cup dark brown sugar 
1/2 cup milk
3 egg yolks, at room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder


Instructions
1.   Combine the brown sugar, milk, and egg yolks in a large saucepan. Heat the pan to medium heat. 
2.  Gradually add the chocolate to the pan, stirring constantly.  When the mixture is shiny and thick, after about 3 minutes, set aside to cool. When completely cool, cut a two-inch cake cone from the center of each cooled cupcake.  Spoon in chocolate filling and replace cake cone.  Frost with recipe below.


For the Nutella Frosting:
Ingredients:
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup Nutella
3 cups of sifted confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
Little sprinkling of salt
3 tablespoons milk

Instructions:
In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat softened butter, nutella and vanilla until well mixed. In a small bowl, mix sugar, salt and cocoa powder until its thoroughly mixed. Gradually, add this dry mixture to the butter mixture, adding milk as needed to get a creamy frosting-like consistency. Frost cooled cupcakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment