Friday, February 17, 2012

Tenderest Buttermilk Biscuits

             

      


Mmmm....Who doesn't love a light, fluffy, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth biscuit?  Biscuits from Bojangles are one thing I can never get enough of.  Buttttt my biscuits are better.  Mmhmm..I went there.  My biscuits are better than Bojangles.  Don't believe me?  Try this recipe yourself. Who needs Bojangles when I can make fresh, delicious biscuits in just minutes in my own kitchen?? My biscuits are super soft, with just the right amount of flakiness and buttery goodness. Be sure to leave some big crumbles of butter; the  bigger the crumbs, the more flaky and tender the biscuit. These golden-brown pillows bake up tall, light, and tender.  They taste so amazing when you slather some butter and/or jam on them, or you could even use them for an incredible breakfast sandwich with egg and cheese and/or sausage/ham. However, if you do make a sandwich, they tend to fall apart a bit because they are so extremely tender.   I call it an egg and cheese sandwich mash.  I would alter this recipe to make a more sturdy biscuit for a sandwich, but they taste so incredibly delicious that I can't get myself to alter them. It's the taste that counts! I made these this year for the super bowl and served them with my Momma Buscemi's  Favorite Ribs (found here)...ohmyword.... Talk about the perfect, gameday comfort food.


Yield: about 6 large biscuits

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour (use a spoon to spoon this into a measuring cup.  Do NOT pack)
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/4 cup butter, preferably salted, cold (I recommend freezing the butter for at least 20 minutes)
  • 1 egg
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter, for brushing

Directions:

  1. In a small bowl or food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in shortening and butter (or pulse if using a food processor) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. If using food processor, transfer flour mixture to a large bowl. Beat egg with buttermilk in a separate, small bowl; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.  Batter should be pretty wet (too wet to roll).
  2. Use a medium-large ice cream scoop to scoop large balls of dough onto parchment paper or a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter, and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment