Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Creamiest Mashed Potatoes



I'm gonna be honest...I'm not a mashed potato fan.  They just taste so plain and boring! Even on Thanksgiving, mashed potatoes have never been on my plate.  They are absolutely tasteless to me.  That is....until I created this recipe.  Garlic mashed potatoes, as opposed to plain mashed potatoes, I like a little bit more since there's more flavor, so I decided to perk up your normal mashed potato recipe into the ultimate garlic mashed potato recipe.  Now these potatoes have the perfect amount of garlicy flavor, and are incredibly creamy.  Sour cream, cream cheese, and butter make these {melt in your mouth}.  Another thing that's unique about this recipe is that the potatoes are made in the slow cooker for a few hours.  This allows all the flavors to blend together, and the result is phenomenal.  It also allows the potatoes to stay warm throughout your whole meal, even when you go back for seconds...and thirds(;  One thing I think is essential to mashed potatoes is SALT.  Add lots and lots of salt! It brings out all the flavors and makes them taste ten times better. I recommend using garlic salt if you're a garlic fan for the best flavor.  Make sure to blend the butter in at the very end; this makes the potatoes richer when served because the "buttery" flavor is a little more pronounced.  Adding the same salty, garlicy water to the potatoes that they were boiled in also adds a flavor boost.  I made these as a side dish to steak and salad, and the potatoes tasted heavenly mixed with the steak.  My parents and I all agree that these are the best mashed potatoes we've ever had.  My mom nearly fell to her knees on her first bite.  These will definitely be on my Thanksgiving plate this year!

Yield: about 10 servings

Ingredients:

  • 5 pounds red potatoes, cut into chunks
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 3 cubes chicken bouillon
  • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15-18 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
  2. Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours, stirring every hour to prevent sides from sticking. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with garlic salt, salt and pepper to taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment