Thursday, December 22, 2011

Apple Almond Gingerbread


This is inspired from one of Whole Foods' (my absolute favorite grocery store...I could spend hours in there) recipes on their website, and I was really surprised at how amazing it turned out. I altered it slightly by making it a little more low fat, but you can't tell at all.  I can't believe something so healthy can taste so delicious.  First off: it's 100% whole wheat.  It also has apples and almonds which give the bread a delicious and nutritious crunch.  The molasses mixed with the whole wheat flour gives it an incredible richness that reminded me of sticky bread.  The only not-so-healthy ingredient is butter, but it's only a few spoonfuls. I'm gonna try adding some almond extract the next time I make it..I think it would give it a nice almond flavor.  But it's perfect as it is. This is a great holiday bread, and the wonderful aroma of spices fill the house while it's baking.  I recommend serving it when it's warm with a scoop of whipped cream.




Ingredients:

2.5 tablespoons butter, melted
2.5 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup slivered almonds, divided* 
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk (i used low fat)
1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
1/2 cup sugar 
1 tablespoon vanilla extract 
1 egg 
1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour 
1 tablespoon ground ginger 
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 
1 apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped (I used pink ladies)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan. Put 1/4 cup almonds in bottom of pan and then rotate pan to distribute them around the bottom and sides (they'll stick to the greased pan); set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, molasses, sugar, butter, vanilla and egg. In a second large bowl, combine flour, ginger, baking soda and remaining 1/2 cup almonds. Add apples and toss well. Stir flour mixture into molasses mixture and then spoon batter into pan. Bake until cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes and then invert onto a plate and serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment