Thursday, December 8, 2011

Tomato Bruschetta




This is the absolute best bruschetta out there.  It makes me sad that I will never like any other bruschetta recipe because this one is so freaking good.  I didn't think that bruschetta could be all that great before I made it - I mean really...it's like salsa on bread, right??  But oh my goodness gracious: this is to-die-for.  I adapted this from a recipe on allrecipes found here.  This is my favorite non-dessert recipe on that site.  The only change I made was adding some parmesan cheese in place of mozzerella to give it even more flavor from the already enormous amount of flavor it had...but this totally isn't necessary.  It's superb even without any cheese.  I served this as an appetizer with pasta, but my family was so full from eating all this bruschetta that we didn't want much of the pasta.  My mom has been asking me every single weekend to make it.  The sun-dried tomatoes add a fantastic flavor that other bruschetta recipes just can't compete with. 

Yield: about 12 slices


Ingredients:

  • 6 roma (plum) tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil, stems removed
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 French baguette
  • 1 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, vinegar, basil, salt, and pepper. Allow the mixture to sit for 10 minutes.
  3. Cut the baguette into 3/4-inch slices. On a baking sheet, arrange the baguette slices in a single layer. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until slightly brown.
  4. Divide the tomato mixture evenly over the baguette slices. Top the slices with mozzarella cheese.
  5. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment