Saturday, December 24, 2011

Cinnamon Bun Cookies

 


 


Ahh...cinnamon buns.  There's nothing like them.  My personal favorite brand of cinnamon buns is a tie between Pillsbury Grands and Cinnabon.  I love the gooey textures of Grands, but I adore Cinnabon's cream cheese frosting.  I actually tried using Cinnabon's frosting on grands this morning, and the Grands didn't taste as good as they do with their frosting!  I was really surprised.  The Cinnabon frosting is much more delicate and less sweet than Grands' frosting.  I guess both brands just pair their frosting and cinnamon rolls so perfectly, that they shouldn't be changed.  The only thing that I think would make the best cinnamon roll is Grands with a home made cream cheese frosting (a little sweeter than Cinnabons).  I'll be sure to try it soon(:  But anyways...because of my love for cinnamon rolls (or buns..whatever you choose to call them), I saw a recipe for Cinnabun Cookies on allrecipes.com, found here, and I had to make them. I did make a few alterations that made them better, though.  I baked them for a party a few months ago, and everyone loved them. I've made them about four times since then, and I've now mastered the recipe.  My friend declares them the best cookies she's ever tasted.  And I made her a big batch of them for Christmas.  I added a glaze for experiencing a true cinnamon roll taste...and they are absolutely amazing. They look so pretty too!  I almost didn't want to give it to her because they were so perfect looking.  And the great thing is, you can have them for breakfast or dessert.  [These are definitely on my list for one of the best cookies I've ever made.]  A tall glass of milk on your side is a perfect compliment as well.


Yield: about 18 cookies


For the cookies: 

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup shortening
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 eggs
  • 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  •  
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, cream together the 1/4 cup butter, shortening, light brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the vanilla. Combine the 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small microwave safe dish, heat the 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 teaspoons cinnamon in the microwave. Stir frequently until butter is melted and the mixture is well blended.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 12x6 inch rectangle. Spread 2/3 of the cinnamon mixture over each rectangle. Roll it lengthwise into a log. Cut into 1 inch segments (I would highly recommend using unflavored dental floss...this makes it much easier). Use remaining filling to place a small dollop*** of the mixture onto the cookie sheet where each cookie will be placed, about every 3 inches. Place 1 cookie onto each dollop with the cut side down.
  4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Quickly remove cookies from cookie sheet and gently place on cooling rack while they are still very hot to prevent them from sticking. If the cookies are stuck, heat the pan in the oven again for a few minutes to soften the cinnamon dollops.  Let cool completely before frosting.
***I mean a very small dollop!  About half the size of your fingernail.  If you do it too big, it will expand too much and burn the cookie, and the cookie sheet.

For the frosting:

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons hot milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 dash of allspice
1 cup powdered sugar (your may add more if you want it thicker)

Instructions:

1. Mix together all ingredients except the powdered sugar.
2. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar.  Mix well.
3. Spread on cooled cookies, or drizzle by squeezing through a zip-lock bag (cut a very tiny hole and squeeze through).

No comments:

Post a Comment