Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Herb Bread

    I made this loaf for my parents on another Sunday evening, and it was absolutely perfect.  It tastes very similar to the bread served at Macaroni Grill.  I think the only difference is theirs has more olive oil and/or butter and salt rubbed on the edges.  I know I haven't made many yeast breads, but out of all the yeast breads I have made, this is my current favorite.  I think I even like it better than my 100% whole wheat bread...and that's saying a lot.  The reason I like it better is because of the texture and the unique taste.  It is the perfect side to any meal.  And the spices make it have so much more flavor than white bread.  The texture of this loaf is so fluffy and soft...I served it with ham and potato soup, and the bread was SO delicious dunked in it!  It soaked the soup right up and complimented it perfectly.  My mom really enjoyed this for breakfast toasted with butter. My dad and I made egg sandwiches with it and absolutely loved them.  Aaaand I'm about to have it again with tomato shrimp pasta!  I'll be sure to dunk it(:

Yield: 1 loaf (about 12 slices)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon margarine, melted

Directions

  1. Combine 2 cups flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Stir in the water, olive oil, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, and thyme. Use an electric mixer to beat on low speed for 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Turn mixer to medium, and beat for an additional 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Stir in remaining 1 cup flour; mix until smooth. Scrape batter from sides of bowl. Cover, and let rise in warm place for 35 to 40 minutes.
  2. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes. Scrape batter into greased pan; pat down with floured hands. Cover pan. Let dough rise in warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Do not allow dough to over-rise.
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  4. Bake in preheated oven until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom, 40 to 45 minutes. (It may look very brown and it will feel hard, but it won't be when you slice it. And the inside will be soft.)  Brush top with margarine. Remove from pan, and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment