Saturday, November 19, 2011

Spiced Soy Hot Chocolate





Wanna know what my favorite drink is?  
...That's right: hot chocolate.  I am a huge chocoholic, and hot chocolate has been my favorite drink for as long as I can remember.  My idea of heaven?  Sitting next to my fireplace on a chilly winter morning, watching Christmas movies, and sipping hot chocolate.  Because I'm such a huge hot chocolate fan, I've made it hundreds of ways...you'll definitely find a lot of hot chocolate recipes on this site.  My #1 current hot chocolate recipe is this one...for sure.  It uses soy milk - which is the only milk I drink (once I started, I couldn't stop - it's so good!), and an amazing blend of spices that gives it an interesting kick.  The kick is what makes it extra special and unique.  It may seem like a lot of salt when reading over the ingredients, but the salt is what blends all the flavors together.


Ingredients: 

  • 2 1/2 cups soy milk
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 pinch ground cinnamon
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper

Instructions:
Bring the soy milk, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper to a simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat and whisk until frothy. Serve immediately.

Top with whipped cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment