Friday, November 18, 2011

Blueberry Breakfast Cupcakes






Last spring break, my family went to the Keys in Florida, and it was about a 13 hour drive (which is the longest I've ever driven), so we left early in the morning.  The night before, I decided to make something special that we could eat in the car for breakfast.  I wanted to start spring break of on a good note - and what could start it off better than a delicious cupcake to go with some coffee on the road?  I didn't taste any of the product (besides the batter, of course) the night I made it, because I wanted the taste to be a surprise the next morning.  And ohmygoodness:  these are the best cupcakes I've ever had!  They are absolutely PERFECT.  My parents couldn't agree more...my mom ate both her cupcakes in about 10 seconds...she calls these "road trip cupcakes". These originated from one of my first cookbooks called, Crazy About Cupcakes.  You can go to the website here, but these cupcakes are not posted. The website only has a couple recipes. Buying the book is the only way to have access to all of them. And I would highly recommend buying it, because every recipe I've made from their is incredible...however, these are truly the best.  I'm definitely making these for future rode trips to come.


Ingredients:
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries




Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Insert liners into a medium cupcake/muffin pan.
2.  Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.  Add eggs to the creamed mixture and beat well.
3.  In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
4.  Beat portions of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, alternating with the milk.  Mix for 3 minutes. With a spatula, fold in the vanilla and blueberries.
5.  Fill cupcake liners one-half to three-quarters full with batter.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of cupcakes comes out clean.  Cool cupcakes in pan.  Frost when completely cooled, and drizzle with maple syrup or honey.


Cream Cheese Frosting


Ingredients: 
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pure maple syrup


Instructions:
1. In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
2.  Slowly sift the confectioners sugar and continue beating until all lumps are gone.  Add the vanilla and mix until fully integrated. Frost cooled cupcakes and drizzle with maple syrup or honey.


***I would recommend: Garnishing with fresh blueberries

No comments:

Post a Comment