I was a little skeptical before making this cake. It's basically a yellow cake, but instead of flour, it uses graham cracker crumbs. I was worried it would be too salty and too grainy, but it turned out sooo delicious! I made it with my friend when she slept over at my house, and just the two of us ate half of it in one sitting. The graham cracker cake is so moist and has way more flavor than a - in my opinion - boring, yellow cake. The chocolate layer gives the richness, and the marshmallow layer allows the entire bite to just melt in your mouth. If you are a s'mores fan, then I'm 100% positive you'll be a huge fan of this cake as well.
*If you like peanut butter on your s'mores, you're more than welcome to add a peanut butter frosting or a peanut butter drizzle in between and/or on top the layers(:
Yield: Serves 8-10
(1 9-inch cake)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 20)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease two 9-inch cake pans.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla extract.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, salt. Working in two or three additions, alternate stirring the graham cracker mixture and the milk into the butter mixture.
4. Beat egg whites to soft peaks in a clean, medium-sized bowl. Working in 2 or three additions, fold egg whites into graham cracker mixture, mixing until no streaks of white remain.
5. Divide evenly into prepared pans.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cakes cool in pans for 3 minutes, then invert onto wire racks to cool completely before assembling.
Marshmallow Filling and Chocolate Sauce
1 7-oz jar marshmallow creme
8-oz milk chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp corn syrup
1. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, heat chocolate, milk, butter and corn syrup until melted.
2. Stir with a whisk to ensure that everything comes together smoothly. Continue to assemble cake once the sauce is prepared.
1. Place one layer of cake on a serving platter. Spread about 1/2 cup of the chocolate sauce onto the cake, then spread the marshmallow creme into an even layer.
2.Top marshmallow layer with second cake round, then pour remaining frosting over the top, spreading it evenly and allowing it to drizzle down the sides of the cake.
Cake will set up quickly, and should be stored in the refrigerator if not being served shortly after being assembled.