Friday, January 20, 2012

Garlic Toasts





Do not be fooled at the simplicity of this recipe.  I honestly was not expecting this to be very good...just average garlic toast.  But oh my goodness.  I was so wrong.  This is the best, easiest, quickest garlic bread I've ever had.  Rubbing the garlic onto the toast gives it an amazing, fresh garlic flavor that garlic salt or garlic powder just can't compete with.  I served this with Mussels Marinara With Spaghetti (here) from the best cookbook ever created:  The Best of America's Test Kitchen 2012, (here) and broccoli.  Be sure to use a high-quality, crusty bread, such as a baguette; do not used sliced sandwich bread.

Ingredients:
8 (1-inch-thick) slices rustic bread (I used a white, french bread baguette)
1 large garlic clove, peeled  (I sliced my clove in half and rubbed the bread with the sliced side, to give it a stronger garlic flavor)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper

Instructions:
Adjust oven rack 6 inches from broiler element and heat broiler.  Spread Bread on rimmed baking sheet and broil until golden brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.  Briefly rub one side of each toast with garlic.  Drizzle toasts with oil, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment