Monday, January 2, 2012

Black Eyed Pea Salsa


I made this salsa for New Years as one of our "lucky" dishes (since black eyed peas are known to have good luck) and it turned out fabulous!  My dad was constantly bugging me to make him salsa because he loves it, and he gobbled this up.  I love this salsa because it's very healthy and refreshing...not to mention incredibly flavorful.  If I made it again, the only thing I might do is add avocado.  I would have added it to the salsa when I first made it, but my mom doesn't like avocado (she's crazy).  I served these with blue, whole grain tortilla chips and my family and I all agree it's way better than any store-bought salsa we've ever had.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup canned black-eyed peas
  • 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes, drained
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped, fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
  • pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. In a medium bowl, combine black-eyed peas, black beans, corn, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno peppers and tomatoes. Season with lemon juice, lime juice, olive oil, cilantro, garlic clove, and garlic salt; mix well. Cover, and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment