Sunday, January 15, 2012

Momma Buscemi's World Famous Chili











This is the best chili in the entire universe.  I'm not even kidding you.  This recipe was handed down from my grandmother to my mother, and it's been a staple in our house for as long as I can remember.  We have it every single Halloween, and all my friends always love it.  One of my best friends declares it the best thing she's ever tasted, and she asks my mom to make it for her every time she comes over. I even gave her the recipe for Christmas.  I can't believe how easy it is to make it either...you pretty much just throw all the ingredients in a crock pot and let it sit all day.  It's a very hearty, wholesome soup, and tastes incredible on a chilly winter evening.  Serve it with corn bread, and you'll be in southern lovin' heaven.



Yield: about 30 servings



Ingredients:
1.5 lbs. hamburger meat
40 ounces (4-10oz cans) tomato soup
30-oz red kidney beans, drained
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1-8oz can tomatoes w/chili’s, drained
1-10oz can corn, drained
2.5 ounce container chili powder
Garnish: shredded cheese and sour cream, optional

Instructions:
1. Cook hamburger in a large skillet until just browned all over. Drain liquid.
2. Heat slow cooker to low.   Add cooked hamburger and the rest of the ingredients except chili powder.  Mix well.
3. Slowly add chili powder while stirring ingredients until just combined.  Cook for five hours, adding more chili powder to taste each hour.
4.  Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment