Monday, January 2, 2012

Lucky Collard Greens

  


These were the best collard greens I have ever had!  I made these for my family's New Years Dinner for good luck, and oh my goodness they are sooo flavorful!!!  The reason they have so much flavor is because they soak up ingredients so easily.  All my collards barely even fit in the pot when I first put them in, but by the time they were wilted and done they were seriously ten times smaller.  I didn't think collards could taste so good before I tasted these.  The drumstick gives them an incredible smoky flavor.  My mom couldn't stop "MMMMMing".  It actually got really annoying...all she talked about all night were these collards.  I'm gonna make these every New Years for now on! Lets hope they really are lucky!

Yield: about 5 servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 - 12oz. cans chicken broth
  • 1 smoked turkey drumstick
  • 2 big bunches collard greens - rinsed, trimmed and chopped
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Directions:

  1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, and gently saute until light brown. Pour in the chicken broth, and add the turkey leg. Cover the pot, and simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. Add the collard greens to the cooking pot, and turn the heat up to medium-high. Let the greens cook down for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Reduce heat to medium, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until the greens are tender and dark green, about 30 minutes. Drain greens, reserving liquid. Use liquid to reheat leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment