Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Cinnamon/Orange Roll French Toast

  

\  IMG_6661.JPG

IMG_6669.JPG

I made the most delicious orange rolls the other day (found here), and I had eaten four of the ginormous things in less than two days, and there was only one left, so I decided to get a little [creative] with it.  I thought about the time I went to Mimi's Cafe (so good!) and ordered the Cinnamon Brioche French Toast (a cinnamon brioche roll sliced and dipped in Mimi's French toast batter and griddled to perfection), and I decided to create a recipe similar to that, but using my home made orange rolls.  I looked up some cinnamon roll french toast recipes on other blogs and came up with my own creation.  And it was just as good as the french toast I had at Mimi's!  Maybe better, actually.  This is way better than any french toast recipe I've ever had with regular bread. The key is to make the rolls in advance and allow them to dry out a bit so the rolls can soak up the sweet, eggy goodness like french toast would.  You can have these for breakfast or dessert (I had mine for dessert).  I served my french toast with whipped cream, maple syrup, and ice cream.  


Ingredients:
prepared cinnamon rolls or orange rolls - homemade or store bought & baked, un-iced and cooled**
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
cooking spray

**if they are iced, you can slice the top part of the roll off and eat it(:

Garnish as desired:
cream cheese frosting, maple syrup, butter, whipped cream, powdered sugar, ice cream, fruit, etc.



Instructions:
1. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
2. Take your prepared cinnamon/orange rolls that have been cooled and place in the egg mixture to soak up for 5 minutes. Flip over and allow other side to soak for another 5 minutes.
3. In a skillet over medium high heat, spray with cooking spray. Once skillet heats up, place egg soaked cinnamon roll into the pan and press down to flatten. Allow cinnamon roll to brown up and cook before flipping to other side. Flip and cook other side.
4.  Remove from pan and garnish with your preferred french toast toppings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment