Monday, January 23, 2012

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Pancakes with Vanilla Almond Syrup





If you know me, then you'd know that I always eat my pancakes with -->peanut butter<--.  Pancakes without peanut butter is pretty much unthinkable for me.  For real, peanut butter makes everything better.  But these pancakes?  They didn't even need peanut butter;  they were that good without it!!  I'm sure peanut butter would have tasted great on them because I love different combinations of nutty flavors, but I didn't even want to put peanut butter on them! I do have one little confession:  I used Bisquick.  Usually, I never use Bisquick (cause recipes are almost always best from scratch, in my opinion).  Well..I never use it for the original pancake recipe on the box where you just add milk and an egg.  But I will use it for more complex recipes, like on their website and stuff.  So if you have Bisquick and you look underneath that original recipe, you'll see they have a recipe for "Melt-In-Your-Mouth Supreme Pancakes".  All you do differently than the original recipe is add sugar, lemon juice, and baking powder (the sugar makes them slightly sweeter and melt-in-your-mouth-like, and the lemon juice and baking powder make them fluffy and soft).  So I decided to make them (who can resist when it says "melt-in-your-mouth supreme"??).  The reason I didn't make the pancakes from scratch is because I wanted to make a syrup, and making homemade pancakes AND homemade syrup seemed a little too time consuming...and besides, I was hungry.  The sooner to eat the better, right?  I definitely don't regret saving time with the Bisquick, because they truly were melt-in-your-mouth amazing.  And the vanilla almond syrup just took them over the top.  The syrup is absolutely delicious; it has the perfect amount of almond and vanilla...I can't say I like it better than maple syrup, though, because they're two totally different flavors.  A little bit of this syrup goes a long way on these pancakes, so I don't recommend drowning your pancakes if you usually do.   Feel free to add whatever other toppings you'd like...I suggest butter and/or bananas.  I was going to try adding chocolate chips, but all the pancakes were eaten by my mom and I before I had a chance.  The next time I make these, I may try adding chocolate chips and coconut for a little almond joy experience.

Ingredients:

For the pancakes:
2 cups Bisquick
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Vanilla Almond Syrup:
  • 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoons corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract


Instructions:

For the pancakes:
Combine all ingredients and let sit for at least 2 minutes. Preheat griddle to 350 degrees, or medium heat.  Pour about 1/4 cupfuls onto the griddle and cook until browned on each side.  Served hot with Vanilla Almond Syrup.

Vanilla Almond Syrup:
Place the white sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium, cover pan, and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in almond extract and vanilla.  Serve warm on top of pancakes.  Syrup will be thin, but it will thicken up in the fridge as it cools. Store leftover syrup in glass jars, cover, and refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment